Rhodes College Historical Overview
Rhodes College traces its roots back to the Masonic University of Tennessee, which was founded in 1848 in Clarksville, Tennessee, by the Grand Masonic Lodge of Tennessee. In 1850 the institution became Montgomery Masonic College, which was renamed Stewart College in honor of its president, William M. Stewart, in 1855. Under his leadership, the college passed from the Masons to the Presbyterian Church. In 1875, the college added an undergraduate school and became Southwestern Presbyterian University. By the early 1900s, President Charles Diehl led the successful campaign to move the campus to Memphis. In 1925 the new Memphis campus opened and the name was shortened to Southwestern. In 1945 the name changed to “Southwestern at Memphis”. Finally, in 1984, the college’s name was changed to Rhodes College to honor former college president Peyton Nalle Rhodes.
Born in West Virginia in 1875, Dr. Diehl graduated from Johns Hopkins University (1896) and received a Doctor of Divinity from Princeton in 1900. After graduation, he pastured several churches and was called to First Presbyterian Church in Clarksville, Tennessee in 1907. He became President of Southwestern Presbyterian University in 1917 as a venture of faith.
Dr. Diehl shepherded the school through the difficult times of World War I and brought women students in to the College on an equal basis with men. He struggled with the question of the College’s future in Clarksville and in 1919 agreed with those who wanted to move it to a larger city. He administered the college, taught a Bible course, and supervised every detail in the building of the new Memphis campus, selecting the location, the architects, and the design style— Collegiate Gothic—as well as negotiating contracts and hiring the new faculty.
The College opened in 1925 in Memphis as Southwestern, the College of the Mississippi Valley. In 1930, Dr. Diehl was charged by some Memphis ministers with heresy and financial recklessness in the management and building of the College, but a hearing before the Board of Directors cleared him of all charges. In 1949, he was inducted to Phi Beta Kappa as an honorary member. That same year, President Diehl retired after serving the College for 32 years and died on February 27, 1964 in his eighty-ninth year.
The following information about Rhodes College has been excerpted from the “Rhodes College” entry in the Tennessee Encyclopedia:
Rhodes College in Memphis has been aptly characterized as “the garden in the city,” a reference to the college’s lush, richly wooded, and landscaped campus in the heart of the state’s largest city. Princeton Review’s 1995 college guide cited Rhodes as “the most beautiful campus in America.” In recent years, the national media has offered numerous encomiums to Rhodes’s growing reputation for academic excellence. Two figures loom especially large in the history of the college: Charles E. Diehl, president from 1917 to 1949, and James H. Daughdrill Jr., president since 1973.
Diehl, a Johns Hopkins- and Princeton-trained Presbyterian minister, became president of the college when it was still Southwestern Presbyterian University in Clarksville. The Grand Masonic Lodge of Tennessee founded the college in 1848, and it subsequently existed under a variety of names, including Masonic College and Stewart College. In 1855 the college affiliated with the Presbyterian Church, an affiliation that continues to this day. Originally all male, the school became coeducational in 1916. Despite a distinguished faculty that included theologian Joseph R. Wilson, the father of Woodrow Wilson, the college fell on hard times in Clarksville.
Diehl brought the college to its new one-hundred-acre campus in Memphis in 1925, renaming it Southwestern at Memphis, a name tied to the college’s location in the southwest region of the Southern Presbyterian Church. During his tenure as president, Diehl instituted the three practices that distinguish the college in national educational circles.
His first innovation was the consistent use of the “Collegiate Gothic” style of architecture that characterizes all the college’s buildings. In 1989 University of Louisville architect William Morgan chronicled the college’s successful use of the style in his book, Collegiate Gothic: The Architecture of Rhodes College. The second innovation was an honor system that places responsibility for the integrity of students’ academic and personal conduct in the students themselves. The honor system has received considerable attention in the Washington Post, National Public Radio, and other national publications for the faithfulness with which it is upheld by Rhodes students. Diehl’s third innovation was a twelve-credit course called “The Search for Values in the Light of Western History and Religion,” which leads students through the history, philosophy, religion, politics, and literature of the West in a discussion-intensive, primary text-centered format. The Search course spawned progeny at numerous other southern institutions, including Davidson College, the University of the South, Millsaps College, Eckerd College, and Louisiana State University. Michael Nelson and his colleagues described the success of the program in Celebrating the Humanities: A Half-Century of the Search Course at Rhodes College (1996).
James Daughdrill, the other leading figure in the history of Rhodes College, left a career in business and the Presbyterian ministry to become president of Rhodes in 1973, at a time when the college was struggling financially. Despite a sometimes uneasy relationship with the college’s faculty, all three of Diehl’s innovations have flourished and grown during Daughdrill’s tenure. Rhodes students single out the honor system as the best aspect of the college, the Search course is being taught and studied with greater enthusiasm than at any time in its history, and even the newest, most technologically sophisticated buildings continue to be constructed in the Collegiate Gothic style.
At the same time, Rhodes progresses toward the achievement of its recently announced goal of becoming “one of the finest colleges of liberal arts and sciences in the world.” From 1973 to 1998, the size and quality of the Rhodes student body grew significantly from 980 students with an average SAT score of 1105 to 1,450 students with an average score of 1290. With the exception of a few in a small master’s program in accounting, every Rhodes student is an undergraduate. The college reported a growth in the endowment from $6 million to over $200 million and the maintenance of a balanced budget throughout Daughdrill’s tenure.
Daughdrill also initiated the change in the college’s name from Southwestern at Memphis to Rhodes College. Confusion caused by the existence of many other colleges with “southwestern” in their names and the location of the college in an area no longer considered the southwest provided the impetus for the name change. The name Rhodes honors Peyton Nalle Rhodes, a longtime professor at the college and Diehl’s immediate successor as president.
Installation of the Epsilon Sigma Chapter
The following account of the founding of the Epsilon Sigma Chapter of Sigma Nu Fraternity has been excerpted from “The Story of Sigma Nu: A Narrative History of the Fraternity, 1869-1926, with Supplement 1926-1936“:
Southwestern in Memphis, which Sigma Nu entered February 10, 1934, represents a continuity in tradition in higher education in the South which goes back to 1848, when the Masonic Grand Lodge of the State of Tennessee, in conjunction with the Masonic Fraternity of Montgomery County, decided to establish at Clarksville, Tennessee, an institution known as Montgomery Masonic College, and erected the first building known as “The Castle”. Finding themselves hopelessly involved by reasons of inadequate funds, the trustees of the College, after a few years, transferred their assets and liabilities to the Synod of Nashville of the Presbyterian Church. This was in 1855, and the institution took the name Stewart College.
With the destructive influence and consequent poverty if the people of that section due to the Civil War, the College was rehabilitated with the support of the Presbyterians in Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana, the section of the country then known as the Southwest. Accordingly, in 1875, the institution was organized as Southwestern Presbyterian University. An honorable record was established at Clarksville before the trustees decided to move the college to Memphis in 1920. The fine sandstone buildings of the collegiate Gothic were erected on a beautiful new campus on the outskirts of the city, and Southwestern began its fifty-first year in its new home in 1925, and entered upon the final phase of its development.
Southwestern, the College of the Mississippi Valley, as it has come to be known, presents splendid educational opportunities along English college lines. Reading for honors and a tutorial reading course have been well worked out since the new campus was created.
With the removal of Southwestern to Memphis in 1925, the student body increased immediately. The late Dr. Thomas H. Ingram, Sigma, Vanderbilt, then college physician, quickly noted the opportunity for additional fraternities. President Diehl supported his plan and Beta Sigma was organized November 25, 1925, with nine undergraduate members. Inspector Walter M. Noel of the Third Division first visited the group and gave it his support. With the creation of the Twentieth Division, Franklin C. Paschal became Inspector. He visited Southwestern and indorsed the petition. Subsequently Regent Orville M. Barnett, General Secretary Vernon M. Williams, and Editor of The Delta Thomas visited the group, evincing keen interest in the petition. Following a visit from General Secretary Sewell in 1933, the High Council voted favorably on the Beta Sigma petition. The final endorsement can when Memphis alumni and members of the petitioning group attended the Twenty-sixth Grand Chapter at Mackinac Island.
During the period that the petition was before the Fraternity members of Beta Sigma were active in every phase of campus life, winning scholastic and extra-curricular honors. A high type personnel marked the group from the day Dr. Ingram selected the original members. And the work of this lamented brother was gloriously crowned, though he did not see his hopes consummated.
With the installation of the Epsilon Sigma Chapter at Southwestern, February 10, 1934, the Fraternity’s active collegiate chapter roll was brought back to ninety-eight, the all-time high, which had been attained when Beta Gamma Chapter was revived at Missouri Valley College in 1931. The loss of Kappa Chapter at North Georgia College and Eta Chapter at Mercer University accounted for the drop after that time.
The Delta reported that “The very shades of the Founders seemed to have been around Memphis when Beta Sigma Fraternity became Epsilon Sigma Chapter…”
“For was it not just across the river from Memphis in the State of Mississippi that the first of the founders, James Frank Hopkins, was born; and in nearby Arkansas lived and died the noble Greenfield Quarles; and not far distant in Missouri lived the third of the great triumvirate, James McIlvane Riley, the Fraternity’s first regent; and in Memphis lived the nineteenth Sigma Nu, Jack Hopson, beloved and admired? But more than this, grandsons of two of these very founders took part in the induction of Beta Sigma into Sigma Nu. Greenfield Quarles Polk, Sigma, Vanderbilt, was one of the most active alumni in promoting this new chapter. Ben W, Hopkins, Gamma Upsilon, Arkansas, was at the installation with his grandfather’s Bible, now in the archives of the Fraternity, which was used in the initiation ceremonies, as was a similar Bible which belonged to Founder Quarles, both given them by General Francis H. Smith, superintendent of the Virginia Military Institute, when the three Founders were graduated, July 4, 1870. Two of Founder Quarles’ swords were likewise used in the ceremonies which brought Epsilon Sigma Chapter into being; one his cadet sword, and another given him years later by fellow Confederate veterans. Another brother, that esteemed founder of Gamma Upsilon Chapter at Arkansas, W. Terry Field, was there with Founder Hopkins’ badge, the original Sigma Nu badge. It lay on the lieutenant commander’s desk as was described to the new initiates of Sigma Nu at Southwestern.”
Few Chapters have come into the Fraternity under more inspiring conditions. Judge Wightman W. Hughs, Sigma, Vanderbilt, was general chairman for the elaborate installation. More than 1,200 invitations had been sent out for the instillation ball held in the ballroom of the Peabody Hotel by a team made of Herbert Gannaway, Sigma, John A. Thomas, Sigma, Larry B. Pryor, Gamma Theta, Cornell, Dr. Loraine L. Carter, Sigma-Epsilon Eta, Vanderbilt-Tennessee, and Gordon Siefkin, Beta Mu, Iowa. Music for the initiation was furnished by Patrick R. Merritt, Beta Omicron, Sewanee. The dignity, impressiveness, and general excellence of the entire ceremonies could not fail to move every new initiate and alumnus present. The perfection of the presentation of the ritual evidenced long effort on the part of the team.
The banquet was also held in the Peabody with Judge Hughes as toastmaster. General Secretary Sewell presented the charter for Epsilon Sigma Chapter to Commander T. Clark Porteous. Inspector Frankin C. Paschal, Beta Beta, DePauw, of the Twentieth Division, Second Vice Regent Errett R. Newby, Past Regent Borden Burr, and Editor of The Delta Thomas were among the alumni there. Nearby chapters were represented by groups of active men and many alumni from over the state and adjoining territory attended. The formal installation ceremonies were closed Sunday morning with chapel service on the Southwestern campus with the Reverend Raymond E. MacBlain, Beta Omicron, Sewanee, preaching, and the Reverend Wayne W. Gray, newly initiated alumnus of Epsilon Sigma, assisting in the service.
Epsilon Sigma entered this fine old college of the Presbyterian Church and the Mississippi valley under the very inspiring stimulus of the Founder’s influence, and in the enthusiasm of one of the most active alumni groups in the Fraternity; a group whose every effort went toward making this installation outstanding in the annals of Sigma Nu.
History of Epsilon Sigma: 1934 – 1971
Shortly after Southwestern was moved to Memphis from Clarksville, Tennessee in 1925, a small group of men students saw the need for another social fraternity on the growing campus of Southwestern, the College of the Mississippi Valley, as it was known at that time. Prior to its move to Memphis it was called Southwestern Presbyterian University, having both a liberal arts college and a divinity school. This group of close friends, under the leadership of brother Wayne W. “Windy” Gray of Tutwiler, Mississippi, founded a-local fraternity on November 6, 1925 which they called Beta Sigma. Petitioning procedure for a national fraternity charter began in 1926. In addition to Brother Gray, others included in the original organization were James H. Melvin, William K. Lakenan, Herbert A. Beck, George Tribble, Luther W. Southworth, Price A. Patton, Horace Lisenbee and John C. Blair.
Beta Sigma was quickly recognized by the college and by the Men’s Pan Hellenic Council (later called the Interfraternity Council) and took its place with the national fraternities on the campus which included Alpha Tau Omega, Kappa Alpha, Kappa Sigma, Pi Kappa Alpha and Sigma Alpha Epsilon. There were only three national sororities on the campus at that time (Alpha Omicron Pi, Chi Omega and Kappa Delta). A little later on the two local sororities which were organized became Tri-Delta and Zeta Tau Alpha sororities.
The main objective of the new local fraternity was, of course, to become a part of a national fraternity. The name of Sigma Nu Fraternity was first brought to the attention of the group by Brother Lee B. “Mike” Wailes of Memphis. Brother Wailes transferred to Southwestern from Bethany College, Bethany, West Virginia, where he had become a Sigma Nu. He received his degree from Southwestern in 1929. Through his friendship with members of the local Beta Sigma Fraternity, Sigma Nu became a solid choice for consideration to petition by the group. Plans began to take shape after a close study was made by members of Beta Sigma on Sigma Nu’s history, its ideals and objectives. All were found to be everything that could be hoped for in a college fraternity as well as providing the means for lasting friendships and brotherhood after college days were over. Little did they know, however, that the years ahead were to be long and full of disappointments. This, in spite of the fact that they were well aware that action on a petition and the ultimate granting of a charter by Sigma Nu did not come very fast in those days. Much work was done by Beta Sigma in presenting its case to the chapters in the Division in which Southwestern was located, and to the National Office of Sigma Nu. The executive secretary of Sigma Nu visited the campus several times during the petitioning period. Flattering recommendations from college officials and the fraternities and sororities on the campus in behalf of Beta Sigma were sent to the Sigma Nu National Office and to the chapter of Sigma Nu in Southwestern’s Division. This proved to be of little help as each year one chapter in the Division, believed to be the University of Kentucky, continued to block within the Division the petition of Beta Sigma. The University of Kentucky chapter of Sigma Nu was a very fine one. It was thought, among other things perhaps, that Southwestern, with its student body of only about 400 students, men and women, was considered by the Kentucky chapter to be too small a college for a chapter. Actually the percentage of the student body belonging to Greek organizations at Southwestern at that time was rather high – probably as much as 80 or 85%.
During these years of petitioning, with their ups and downs, Beta Sigma continued to thrive and make substantial contributions to the college in all areas. Its ability to compete successfully with the five well-established national fraternities on the campus in rush and in positions of importance in campus affairs never ceased to amaze the campus. The holding of offices, whether in student government, publications or any phase of campus life was considered to be an honor those days; Considerable interest was taken in all elections, and they were frequently bitterly contested, Fraternity and sorority combines were not at all uncommon at election times. Beta Sigma held its share of campus offices, including president of the student body one year. Accomplishing these things by a small local fraternity was not always easy and could not have been done had it not been for a deep sense of pride in having its brothers elected to offices. It also took dedication on the part of the brothers of Beta Signa to help make this come about. They felt it not only a duty as a brother but an obligation to help a brother win an election, for not only did it bring a certain amount of satisfaction and glory to the brother, the whole fraternity shared in his glory.
In spite of disappointments and set-backs in its petitioning for a charter of Sigma Nu, never once did the members of Beta Sigma give up the desire and hope of becoming a Sigma Nu chapter. Finally, in 1934, after eight years of petitioning, Beta Sigma’s efforts and patience paid off. It was then the fraternity was notified by the national office of Sigma Nu that it had been granted a charter, and that Beta Sigma would become Epsilon Sigma Chapter of Sigma Nu Fraternity. Installation procedure was set for February 10, 1934. Two days of elaborate activities were held in connection with the installation of Epsilon Sigma Chapter. An initiation team of alumni performed the initiation ceremony which was held at the Peabody Hotel. Charter members of the chapter were T. Clark Porteous, Gordon G. Fox, Curtis F. Johnson, Edmund C. Hutchinson, Williams. Cobb, Robert H. Williams, Henry M. Oliver, Herbert E. Williams and Richard C. Hays. In addition to the actives initiated, a large number of the alumni of Beta Sigma were also initiated at the same time.
Soon after the chapter was installed thoughts of members turned to the need of having a chapter house on the campus. All the other fraternities had lodges by now with the Kappa Sigma lodge being the first one on the campus. An addition was added to the lodge some years later. College building regulations made it necessary for all lodges to be built out of the regulation stone used in the other buildings on the campus. Epsilon Sigma hired an architect and in due time he presented plans which were accepted by the chapter. Work began shortly afterward with active chapter members and pledges lugging the heavy fieldstone from a stock pile of stones left over from the construction of the original buildings of the college in 1925. This stock pile was located in the area just about where the present Physics Building is located alongside a railroad spur track which came on the campus. This track ran along where the brown frame buildings are now (just east of the Science Center and Student Center), the soft ball field, west of the baseball diamond and on to Jackson Avenue where it connected with the railroad that crosses that street. The track was used to bring stone to the campus and oil for heating the buildings. Members of the chapter unloaded and unsacked cement, mixed concrete ani poured it. It wasn’t long before troubles began to mount up for the hard-working and dedicated brothers. Just about the time the full basement was finished the rains came and filled the basement with water. This froze over and there were more rains. Finally, after much delay the fieldstone walls went up under the supervision of members of the chapter. Then a real calamity struck. The money ran out, and there was more delay. This problem was eventually solved by the building committee composed of Brothers Bland R. Maxwell, J. Stovall Jeter and David Johnson, all alumni of Sigma Nu chapters other than Epsilon Sigma. They raised $7000 in cash, a sizeable amount in the 1930s; got donations of nearly $3000 worth of materials from Sigma Nus in business in Memphis and a loan from the Sigma Nu National Office of approximately $3500. When construction was resumed the actual work was done by experienced workmen. Finally, after more than a year’s time, the House was completed and dedicated in September, 1937.
The dedication of the House attracted many dignitaries of the national fraternity as well as Sigma Nu alumni in the Memphis area. Brother Errett R. Newby of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Regent of Sigma Nu, made the dedication address and Dr. Charles E. Diehl, president of Southwestern, made the acceptance address. A formal reception was held after the dedication to which hundreds of friends of Sigma Nu were invited to call at the lodge. The chapter meeting room which was in the basement (the present game room) was dedicated to Brother Donald H. Johnson, brother of Brother David Johnson, who lost his life in an accident while a student at Southwestern. Brother Donald Johnson attended the University of Illinois before transferring to Southwestern. An appropriate plaque was placed on the door of the room. In the late 1940s the chapter meeting room was moved to the third floor of the House. Up until that time the third floor was unfinished. In 1949 work was completed flooring the entire third floor, paneling the walls and making the room generally usable for a meeting room. With the chapter growing in size the room being used as a recreation room (the present large bedroom) was found to be inadequate for this purpose. It was at this time that the decision was made to make the former chapter meeting into a game room.
The approximate cost of the construction of the House in 1936 was $15,000. The current value of the House (1970) is estimated to be about $45,000, including the furnishings. Annual insurance policies are paid by the Sigma Nu House Corporation. The Sigma Nu House Corporation, an organization composed of from 12 to 15 local alumni, “owns” the House. That is to say, the Sigma Nu National Office requires that a permanent body of alumni in the city or town in which a Sigma Nu chapter is located assume the responsibility of the chapter house. A house corporation must remain in existence or the House could be closed. Among other things any business transaction involving the borrowing of money from the national office of Sigma Nu must be applied for by the active chapter through the house corporation, which must agree to assume the responsibility of the loan if the chapter should fall down on meeting its obligation. The reason for this type of setup is that the executive officers of the national fraternity of Sigma Nu realize that active chapter members come and go, and at best are on a campus for only four years. They are, in other words, “temporary” residents of the campus. For this reason Sigma Nu requires that a permanent organization be responsible for the House year in and year out, seeing that it is kept in good repair, functional, and kept attractive for future Epsilon Sigma Chapters. The current members of the Sigma Nu House Corporation (1970) are Brothers T. H. Smith, Jr., president, Raymond Martin, vice president, Jesse E. Johnson, Jr., secretary, James F. Springfield, treasurer, James M, Breytspraak, Charles Cobb, J. Stovall Jeter, Samuel H. Mays, Daniel S. Whipple, Robert C, Threlkeld, William C. Wilson, Goodbar Morgan and Edwin W. Stock, Jr.
The Sigma Nu House has been, and still is generally considered to be one of the finest fraternity houses on the campus. To those brothers who years ago were so involved in the construction of the House with its many disappointments, hardships, problems and finally ultimate rejoicing at its completion, the Sigma Nu House means a great deal. The same can be said of those brothers who have had an active part in the many major improvements made on the House from time to time.
Epsilon Sigma Chapter remained moderate in size for several years after the installation of the chapter. However, it was always able to hold its own with the larger and older fraternities on the campus in all campus activities. During 1939 and 1940 the Southwestern campus, along with the rest of the country, was becoming more and more concerned over the war clouds that were threatening. When the Japanese struck Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, thus throwing the United States in the war, life at Southwestern began to change rapidly. Many of the men students dropped out of college and volunteered for some branch of the service. Others were drafted within a few months. For the next three or four years the number of regular men students on the campus was reduced to only a handful. Practically all the fraternities became inactive, and none were able to carry on any kind of activity very successfully. The Sigma Nu House was completely closed. After a year or so, through an agreement between the United States Air Force and Southwestern, a company of Air Force cadets was stationed at Southwestern for study and training. With the approval of the Sigma Nu House Corporation a number of these cadets were quartered at the Sigma Nu House.
In the early 1940s women. students occupied Robb and Calvin (now White) Halls. By the time the war ended in 1945 a few men students, mostly high school graduates, were enrolling at the college. The women students who had been living in the men’s dormitories were moved to Evergreen Hall on the corner of University and Tutwiler. When the new women’s resident hall, Voorhies Hall, was ready for occupancy in 1946, many moved into it.
By 1946 approximately 700 or 800 men were enrolled at the college, the majority of whom were veterans of World War II attending college under the G. I. Bill of Rights. Prior to the increase in the number of men students in 1946, Sigma Nu, with the help of Brother J. Stovall Jeter, pledged a few men in 1945. Among them was Brother Billy H. Hightower of Lewisburg, Tennessee. Under the leadership of Brother Hightower several other men were pledged. With this small group as a nucleus, the chapter was slowly getting on its feet.
The first regular rush program of any consequence in about four years (since 1942) took place in 1946. Sigma Nu, and most of the other fraternities, had to rebuild their chapters. With the group of men interested in pledging a fraternity a large one, practically all the fraternities were able to pledge a sizeable number of men which enabled them to once again get firmly established on the campus. Sigma Nu pledged 42 men. This pledge class provided the foundation for the future well-being of Epsilon Sigma Chapter, and assured its position of becoming a strong and influential organization on the campus.
During the. 1945-1946 session Brother Billy Hightower served as commander of the chapter, He was one of the leaders on the campus. In addition to being commander of Sigma Nu he was chosen King of the April Fool Carnival; voted the most popular man on the campus (an annual event sponsored by the Student Council). He also served as president of the Men’s Pan Hellenic Council. In the first Homecoming Lawn Decoration contest held since World War II Sigma Nu was awarded first place.
For the 1946-1947 year, Sigma Nu elected a commander each semester. Brother Ben Arnold of Memphis was commander for the first semester and Brother Billy Speros, also of Memphis, served as commander for the second semester. Brother Speros, active in all campus affairs and varsity athletics, was also elected to Southwestern’s Hall of Fame. The Homecoming Lawn Decoration contest was again won by Sigma Nu in 1947. Chapter members continued to become involved in campus affairs and make meaningful contributions to the college.
The 1947-1948 college year found Brother Sam Fudge of Memphis commander for the first semester and Brother Billy Hightower commander again for the second semester. This was another memorable year for Sigma Nu. The Intramural Athletic Trophy came to rest at the Sigma Nu House. In a contest with SAE Fraternity for the highest scholarship average, Sigma Nu came out ahead and, as stated in the agreement of the contest, the Sigma Nus ate steaks (at the expense of the SAEs) at a gathering of the two groups while the SAEs ate hot dogs. Among the prominent Sigma Nu campus figures graduating in 1948 were Brothers Richard C. Wood, James E. Roper, both of Memphis and Sam Fudge. Brother Wood was a former editor of the Sou’Wester, author of the 1947 and 1948 April Fool plays, member of Stylus, Omicron Delta Kappa National Honorary Leadership Fraternity, Alpha Theta Phi, a Southwestern honorary scholastic fraternity. This fraternity was disbanded when a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa was established at Southwestern on December 5, 1949. Brother Roper was editor of Stylus, president of Alpha Theta Phi, Who’s Who, Hall of Fame and Rhodes Scholarship winner. Brother Fudge was commander of the chapter, a member of Omicron Delta Kappa, Who’s Who and other college activities of assorted kinds.
The policy of electing a commander each semester was discontinued at the end of the 1947-1948 year. For 1948-1949 Brother Eugene H. Schaeffer of Memphis was elected commander. Under Brother Schaeffer’s leadership Sigma Nu made great strides although the number of men students entering Southwestern was on the decline, a trend which was to last for several years. The influx of World War II veterans was over. A pledge class of twelve or fifteen men was considered to be a good size group. The strength of Epsilon Sigma was now approximately fifty actives and pledges. This was the second largest fraternity on the campus with the other four somewhat smaller in comparison to the two largest groups. The chapter won the annual AOPi Stunt Night competition with its rendition of “Flicker Flashbacks” – a realistic, 1910 silent melodrama, complete with gestures and flickering. Second place was awarded Sigma Nu in the annual Kappa Delta All-Sing All-Sing. The 1940s were closed out with. Brother John Reid Bell of Memphis as commnader for the 1949-1950 session. Second places were won by Epsilon Sigma in All-Sing 2nd Student Night this year.
To lead off the new decade, the 1950s, the chapter elected as commander Brother R. Christy Morgan of Selma, Alabama. It was evident now that Sigma Nu was destined to take its place as one of the strongest fraternities on the campus. This was borne out by facts and by events that took place during the 1950s. Other commanders during this decade, sometimes referred to insofar as the chapter was concerned as the “fabulous fifties” were Brothers C. Allen Cooke of Memphis 1951-52; Lane Erwin of Mobile, Alabama 1952-53; Truman Nabors of Selma, Alabama 1953-54; Thomas L. Jones of Shreveport, Louisiana 1954-55; Kenneth Silvey of Shreveport, Louisiana 1955-56; Louis Dodez of Shreveport, Louisiana 1956-57; P.W. “Buddy” Whiteaker of Pine Bluff, Arkansas 1957-58; Larry D. Kennon of Memphis 1958-59 and Dale N. Pflug of Little Rock, Arkansas 1959-60.
In the early part of this decade the number of men students was still off some, but by the middle of the 1950s enrollment began to increase. From the standpoint of competitive events on the campus during these years Sigma Nu’s record was outstanding. From 1950 through 1959 Epsilon Sigma finished first five times and placed second twice in the Kappa Delta All-Sing; in the Homecoming Lawn Decoration contest for the same years, with no contest being held in 1951 because of not having a football team, the record was even better – six firsts and one second. In Student Night competition the record was not quite as good as the two other events, but it was respectable. Two firsts and four seconds during the ten year period. On the Honor Council from 1950 through 1959 twenty-six members of Sigma Nu served on the Council with Brother Sam Martin of Rock Hill, South Carolina the president in 1958- 59. In 1954-55 five men on the Council were Sigma Nus. The chapter was also well represented in Omicron Delta Kappa during the 1950s with twenty-six of the brothers being tapped during this period. At one tapping in 1954-55 all those tapped (five) were Sigma Nus. Also, during this period three brothers were voted Outstanding Sophomores by ODK. They were Brothers Joe C. Eades of Memphis 1953-54; Allen Reynolds of Memphis 1957-58 and Daniel S. Whipple also of Memphis 1958-59. Southwestern Hall of Fame counted seven members of Sigma Nu among those chosen for this honor during the 1950s. They were Brothers C. Allen Cooke 1953, Truman D. Nabors and F. Hollingsworth Mitchell 1955, Joseph C. Eades, Jr. and George N. “Smoky” Russell 1956 and J. L. Jerden and Steve A. “Sam” Martin 1959. Three Sigma Nus and one Sigma Nu affiliate (a Phi Delta Theta transfer from Sewanee) served as president of the student body during the 1950s. They were Lindsay Stephenson (affiliate) 1951, Brother F. H. Mitchell 1954, Brother Joseph C. Eades 1955 and Brother Allen Reynolds 1959.
The office of President of the Freshman Class became almost an annual thing for Sigma Nu in the ’50s. This office was held by Pledge James E. Winslow, Jr. of Jackson, Tennessee in 1953; Pledge Larry D. Kennon of Memphis in 1955; Pledge Allen Reynolds, a former president of the student body at Central High School in Memphis in 1956; Pledge Daniel S. Whipple of Memphis in 1957; Pledge Ed W. Albright of Nashville, Tennessee in 1958 and Pledge William V. Arnold of Greenwood, Mississippi in 1959. Eight other class officers (all presidents of classes) were held by Sigma Nus during the 1950s. In varsity athletics the chapter was always well represented. Scholarship was not a bright spot, with more seconds and thirds in competition with the other fraternities, but the chapter’s scholastic average was consistently above the All-Men’s average. So, the “fabulous fifties” were just that for Sigma Nu at Southwestern. One of the highlights of the 1950s was the outstanding pledge class of 1955, one of the largest, and certainly one of the most impressive in the history of the chapter up to that time.
In mentioning the various honors that came to brothers and the successes of the chapter in campus activities, it should be kept in mind that in past years, and even as recent as the mid-1960s, campus honors which included being elected to campus offices and being selected for traditional campus honors because of possessing the qualifications set down for being chosen for these honors were important to most of the student body.
With such outstanding leaders in the chapter in the 1950s it is no surprise that so many Sigma Nu alumni of this decade are doing well in their chosen fields, and are making meaningful contributions to their communities. And they are active and loyal alumni of Southwestern.
As we moved into another decade, the 1960s, Sigma Nu’s consistent success in rush, its high percentage of initiation of its pledge classes, the capacity of being able to retain a high percentage of its brothers at Southwestern until graduation and the caliber of men choosing Sigma Nu as their fraternity, further entrenched its position on the campus as being an outstanding and respected organization. Sigma Nu learned early that rush is of utmost importance to the life of the chapter. The desire to do well in rush, and to be on the alert at all times for prospective pledges had become traditional with Epsilon Sigma Chapter by now. No doubt the strength and success of the chapter over the years can be attributed to a large extent to this fact. For a relatively young chapter in a small college the number of initiates is remarkably high, and is fast reaching the point where it will surpass much older chapters of Sigma Nu in this respect.
Epsilon Sigma was fortunate in having some capable and dedicated commanders during the 1960s. Since much of the success of a chapter depends on the kind of leadership given it by its commander, Epsilon Sigma was in good hands. Commanders for the 1960s were Dale Pflug of Little Rock, Arkansas 1959-60, Samuel L. Drash of St. Petersburg, Florida 1960-61, William V. Arnold of Greenwood, Mississippi 1961-62, Joe C. McCown, Jr. of Forrest City, Arkansas 1962-63, Thomas H. Durff of Memphis 1963-64, Ken Frank Tullis of Memphis 1964-65, Barry Boggs of Paragould, Arkansas 1965-66, James H. Durham of Hot Springs, Arkansas 1956-67, James G. Riggan of Memphis 1967-68, John A. Howell, Jr. of Malden, Missouri 1968-69 and Charles M. Durham of Hot Springs, Arkansas 1969-70.
In campus activities the desire and pride in doing a good job for Sigma Nu in everything it undertook, a tradition started early in the life of the chapter, was very much in evidence during the 1960s. This desire, plus the enjoyment of brothers working together on such projects as Homecoming decorations, All-Sing, Service projects, Stunt Night, Intramurals, Rush and Chapter social events made this decade an outstanding one for Sigma Nu. In the Homecoming Lawn Decoration competition from 1960 through 1969, Sigma Nu had six first places and two second places, bringing its record in this contest for a twenty-three-year period (since 1946) to fourteen first places and three second places. In All-sing competition for the ten-year period of the 1960s, first place was captured by Sigma Nu five times and second place twice, giving a record for a twenty-two-year period of ten first places and five second places. For a twenty-one period, beginning in 1949, six first places and six second places were taken by Sigma Nu in Stunt Night competition. Among these were firsts three times and seconds twice in the 1960s.
In other campus activities twenty-eight Sigma Nus served on the Honor Council from 1960 through 1969, with Brothers Tom Durff in 1964, Mike W. Whitaker in 1966 and Mark Houston in 1969 being elected president of the Council. Also, during this period twenty-two Sigma Nus were tapped for Omicron Delta Kappa, with five brothers being selected by ODK as Outstanding Sophomores. They were Cyril Hollingsworth of Little Rock, Arkansas in 1961, Ken Tullis of Memphis in 1962, Mike Whitaker of Mason, Tennessee in 1964, Richard Ennis of Memphis in 1965 and Mark Houston of Jackson, Tennessee in 1968. The Southwestern Hall of Fame claimed eight Sigma Nus in the 1960s. They were Allen Reynolds in 1960, Jack Thompson and Dan Whipple in 1961, Cyril Hollingsworth in 1964, Tom Durff and Winton “Smitty” Smith in 1965, Mike Whitaker in 1967 and John Howell in 1969. The presidency of the Student Government Association went to a Sigma Nu in 1963-64 (Cyril Hollingsworth) and in 1967-68 (William B. Hubbard).
The chapter’s percentage of participation of members in varsity athletics was always good, with this participation increasing in the latter part of the 1960 decade. Success in intramurals during this period was impressive and resulted in a number of new trophies for the trophy case.
Epsilon Sigma is proud to tell of its outstanding record in all campus activities and its many contributions to the college since it was installed in 1934. However, this is not to be taken as an attitude of boastfulness. The chapter has done well because it has always tried to do its best. Its honors and accomplishments are a result of hard work, dedication and desire. These honors and achievements are recorded for posterity as a record of facts rather than one of bragging about them. The trend has been well established and there is every reason to believe that future Epsilon Sigma chapter brothers will carry on the tradition.
A typical good year for Sigma Nu during the 1960s was 1968-69. First places were taken in Homecoming and Stunt Night. The All-Sing group under the direction of Brother Jim Dick finished a close second after being edged out of the first-place spot by one point. In other campus activities Sigma Nu had president of the Senior Class, several Student Government Association senators, Head of the Student Center and four members on the Honor Council. Varsity athletics counted the following Sigma Nus among the participants. In football were David Lewers, Randall “Moon” Mullins, George Elder, Vance Elliott, Tim Crais, Mike Hornbeck, Joe Rutledge, John Vickery, Steve James and affiliate John Troy. Jim Moss and Matt Wood represented Signa Nu on the basketball team. On the baseball team were Steve James, Moon Mullins Jerry Stauffer, James Chandler, Walter Netschi and David Troutman. Brother Steve Hammond was on the golf team. On the wrestling team were Brothers Charles Durham, Jerry Stauffer, Phil LeTard, Steve Youmans and affiliate John Troy. Brothers Jim Murphy, Joe Clift, George Elder, Guy Cooley and Matt Wood represented Sigma Nu on the track team. In other sports it was Brother Jim Murphy in cross-country, Brother C. W. Stacks in tennis and Brother David Troutman in swimming.
In service projects Sigma Nus raised $400.00 collecting donations for Easter seals in March, 1969; were active in the Kinney Program by working in hospitals, youth centers and in counselling. A Christmas party for orphans was held at the Sigma Nu House in December, 1968. In other activities a rousing 2.8193 scholarship average for the second term helped Epsilon Sigma take first place in scholarship competition with the other fraternities on the campus for the 1968-69 session.
In the latter 1960s interest and participation in some campus affairs and activities seemed to lessen some. Among them was the Student Government Association. As a result of this apparent lack of interest and enthusiasm all campus elections seemed to hold less attraction for the campus as a whole, and Sigma Nu in particular. Time will tell whether this is a temporary situation or whether it is a change of interest in such things by the brothers of Epsilon Sigma.
One of the major improvements on the House in recent years was completed in September, 1967. With the assistance of the Sigma Nu House Corporation a central heating and air-conditioning unit was installed in the House. In addition to this welcome and muchly-needed equipment, new paneling, better light facilities, new trophy cases and other minor improvements were made in the game room. A color TV was also added. Since the cost of this project was estimated to be between five and six thousand dollars it became necessary for the chapter to apply for a loan from the national office of Sigma Nu through the House Corporation. This loan, which was granted, plus the withdrawal of several thousand dollars from Epsilon Sigma’s account at the national office, the job was able to be done. Sigma Nu’s policy of collecting a set amount from each active brother every month during the college year for deposit in the chapter’s account at national is one of many practical and well-thought-out services Sigma Nu offers its chapters. This money is paid like a bill every month. Actually, it is a sure way of saving and accumulating money for the chapter and its use when it needs the money for some legitimate and worthwhile project for the House. The chapter applies for this money through the House Corporation which nearly always approves the request after it reviews the proposed plan for use of the money and it seems sound.
The college year of 1969-70 began with approximately forty actives returning to college in September. Realizing that in order to hold its strength of past years a large pledge class, yet one of quality, was a must this year. Under the leadership of Brother Charles Tuggle, Rush Chairman, and with the full cooperation of the entire chapter, rush was uppermost in the minds of the brothers for the next three and a half months. Formal rush and pledging were to take place in January. Until that time open rush was in effect. But other campus activities demanded some time and thought too. Homecoming came on October 25 with our traditional rival, Sewanee, coming down for the football game. With its usual enthusiasm to put on a good Homo coming display, the chapter came up with another winner. Brothers James Chandler and Mark Houston were in charge.
In other campus activities Brother Jim Dick led Epsilon Sigma to first place in All-Sing competition with its fine rendition of selections from “Hair”, complete with appropriate costumes. Two brothers served on the Honor Council and Brothers Joe Rutledge and Steve Yomans were members of the Student Government Association. Brothers Charles Durham, Mark Houston and Jim Moss are currently presidents of their dormitories. The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is led by Brother Randall “Moon” Mullins with a number of other brothers members of this group.
With the arrival of December thoughts turned to examinations and the approaching holidays. But before these events were to take place, the brothers attention was focused on a Christmas party for the boys and girls of Porter-Leath Orphanage who for several years have been more or less “adopted” by the chapter. This orphanage serves as a temporary home for boys and girls who have no other place to go. Their stay at the orphanage may be for only a few days or it may last for a year or so. There is a very strong feeling among the brothers to serve the community in which they live in some constructive way. There seemed to be no better project than working with the Porter-Leath children. Under the leadership of Brother Charles Sneed weekly visits were set up to the Home to give the brothers a chance to spend some time with these boys and girls. The chapter also brings them to the fraternity house for cook-outs from time to time, and to football and basketball games on the campus. Work with the children of Porter-Leath will continue as this has become a very important project of the chapter and one which has been thoroughly enjoyed by the brothers.
Alumni relationships have always received special attention by the chapter over the years, realizing that a chapter which maintains alumni support and interest can nearly always be counted upon to be a top-notch chapter. With this in mind Epsilon Sigma has made great efforts in this area and has been fairly successful. Many alumni brothers think that when they become alumni of the chapter they are out of things, so to speak, and feel that maybe they are not as welcome now that they are alumni. This is probably not the case, but it is a natural reaction. The job of the chapter is to make alumni feel they are wanted and needed and are still a part of the chapter even though the conditions make their relations with the chapter somewhat different. Epsilon Sigma recognizes this and is working toward bringing alumni more into the life of the active chapter, knowing that Brotherhood in Sigma Nu does not terminate when a brother becomes an alumnus in spite of the fact that his life and activities are quite different from his undergraduate graduate college days. Epsilon Sigma does not underestimate the potential strength of moral and financial support of alumni in time of need.
Epsilon Sigma was fortunate in securing the services of Brother Dan Whipple as chapter adviser in the late 1960s. Brother Whipple’s enthusiasm for Sigma Nu and his keen interest in Epsilon Sigma Chapter have been quite helpful to the chapter. Another alumnus, Brother Robert C. Threlkeld, has served as chapter adviser, President of the Memphis Sigma Nu Alumni Chapter and currently is Commander of Division 12 West. Brother Threlkeld’s help and guidance have been invaluable to Epsilon Sigma and his contribution to Sigma Nu nationally has been impressive.
Epsilon Sigma has also been fortunate in having active White Star Clubs for a number of years. This group is composed of mothers of actives and pledges, pinees, sisters and daughters of Sigma Nus. The White Star Club has been of considerable help to the chapter in preparing food for rush parties, Founders Day and the banquet honoring Sigma Nu seniors. In addition to this service, the Club buys things for the House from time to time and in a general way keeps a watchful eye on the House. The present officers of the White Star Club are Mrs. Matthew W. Wood, president, Mrs. Alva B. Weir, vice president, Mrs. John S. Hamilton, secretary and Mrs. P. B. Mulroy, treasurer.
With the return of the brothers to college in January after a holiday break, formal rush demanded the immediate attention of the chapter. Epsilon Sigma’s rush program had been excellently carried out by Rush Chairman Tuggle, with the cooperation of the entire chapter. The ground work was laid during the first term, and this was quite helpful during the short period of formal rush. Earlier during the first term the chapter was benefited by the pledging, and in due time the initiation of two transfers, Brothers Michael H. “Mike” Sadler of Tupelo, Mississippi and Gordon S. Greeson, Jr. of Memphis. Both of these brothers have made significant contributions to the chapter. The chapter was further strengthened by the return of former pledge Newton P. “Mac” McWhirter III of Memphis.
Sigma Nu’s rush efforts, both during the first term and during formal rush, paid off with the pledging of a large and very fine pledge class of twenty-four men. This is a versatile class, with a lot of potential, and should strengthen Epsilon Sigma Chapter for the years ahead. The new men wearing the pledge pin of Sigma Nu are:
Thomas M. Aune – Florence, Alabama
Steven L. Bell – Batesville, Arkansas
Douglas V. Bibee – Covington, Louisiana
Robert Michael Bramham – Nashville, Tennessee
William Henry Gardner – Knoxville, Tennessee
William Brent Gatti – Memphis, Tennessee
Ray E. Hartenstein – Little Rock, Arkansas
Hugh A. Hines, Jr. – Memphis
Garry L. Huff – Millington, Tennessee
Michael L. Isaacson – Lewisburg, Tennessee
Ernest E. James – Memphis, Tennessee
Harold P. Jones – Batesville, Arkansas
Larry P. Kirksey – Bristol, Tennessee
Clayton W. Lewis – Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Robert E. McNeal – Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
George Andrew Pouncey – Crawfordsville, Arkansas
Thomas Cotton Nelson – Memphis, Tennessee
Philip A. Reemes – Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Michael R. Walden – Memphis, Tennessee
Gary D. Warmbrod – Belvidere, Tennessee
Winston Taylor Weber – St. Louis, Missouri
James Larry Welchel – Little Rock, Arkansas
Gary L. Yochum – Memphis, Tennessee
Robert E. Phillips – St. Louis, Missouri
The election of officers for the 1970-71 college year came in February, 1970, and we had a whole new group as leaders: commander – Tim Crais, lieutenant commander – Al Weir, recorder – Gordon Greeson, Jr., chaplain – Sam Marshall, and sentinel – Vance Elliott. Wynellen Weir of Memphis was chosen chapter sweetheart.
Jim Moss serving as pledge trainer began the job of molding the pledges into brothers of Sigma Nu. Mike Isaacson was elected President of the pledge class. Before initiation, Phil Reemes was chosen “best Pledge” by the active chapter. The money-making project of the pledge class was to sell light bulbs and the money was put into a fund for construction work on the upstairs room on the northeast end of the House. The chimney in the room was sanded smooth, the walls were paneled and a rug was laid down.
In early May, 18 pledges were found Horthy and desirous of initiation. The morning of May 3, pledges and actives attended Buntyn Presbyterian Church, where Rev. Edwin H. Stock, Jr., a Sigma Nu alum, is pastor. That afternoon in an impressive initiation ceremony these 18 pledges became brothers in Sigma Nu.
In sports that winter and spring, Sigma Nu won the “A” League basketball championship and were champions of the intramural track meet. Our team took a 2nd in “B” league softball. In the overall intramural program for 1970-71 college year Sigma Nu finished with the greatest number of points to take the trophy offered by the Intramural Board.
On returning to school in September, 1971, Epsilon Sigma again returned to duplicating its athletic feats. The “A” and “B” League won championships in flagball. “D” League was 1st in basketball and the “A” and “C” Leagues took seconds. There was no track meet and the “B” League took a second in softball.
Twenty-five Sigma Nus participated in one or more varsity athletics. In football were Gary Huff, Gary Warmbrod, Steve James, Ernie James, Whit Thomas, Harold Jones and Frank Moore. Jim Moss, Ed Davis and Gary Yochem represented Sigma Nu on the basketball team. Andy Pouncey am Harold Jones were the Sigma Nu tracksters. Wrestling were Charlie Durham, Philip Letard, Gary Warmbrod, Hugh Hines, Jim Mulroy, Frank Moore and affiliate John Troy. Henry Gardner was the lone Nu on the golf team. Swimming were Les Landon and Doug Bibee. Jerry Stauffer, Allan Shelton, Bucky Stauffer, Mike Walden, Mike Seldler, Ernie James, Steve James and Jere Hammond were the baseball team.
Matt Wood organized and led us to a second place in the Homecoming Lawn Decoration competition. The theme was “Skyjack the Generals”. Jim Dick led Epsilon Sigma to a second place in All-Sing.
After returning from Christmas break, Rush Week was upon us, Jerry Stauffer, rush chairman, had been working very hard all fall in familiarizing the brothers with the freshmen men. Sigma Nu got more quality and not so much quantity this year in their pledges, gaining only 12 pledges. Fewer men than usual signed up for rush this year. As a result, the number in the pledge classes was somewhat off. Sigma Nu pledges were Rick Bruno, Ed Davis, Steve Sharpe, Oliver Lee, Jere Hammond, Bucky Stauffer, Jim Saz, Allan Shelton, Whit Thomas, Tommy Lewis, Clint Butler and Frank Moore. Matt Wood and Doug Bibee served as pledge trainers.
The pledge class had as its project to raise money a Shrimp and Oyster Sale which attracted a large part of the campus. Raw oysters, boiled shrimp and cold beer were the menu for the day.
The 1971 Founder’s Day Banquet was held in February at the House and was followed by a dance at Ashlar Hall on Central Avenue, Memphis. The highlight was the announcement of the new officers for 1971-72: Officers were commander – Mike Sadler, lieutenant commander – Joe Rutledge, recorder -Thad Rodda, treasurer – Mike Walden. chaplain – Harold Jones, sentinel – Mac McWhirter, publicity chairman – Andy Pouncey and social chairman – Steve Youmans. Paulette Grayson of Jacksonville, Florida was chosen as the new Sweetheart. News also came that Brother George B. Elder had been appointed our new Division 12 West commander. Jerry Stauffer was chosen Sigma Nu Man of the Year.
In order to increase contact between the pledges, actives and alumni, weekly cookouts were held every Sunday evening. But soon the pledges were full-fledged brothers. Initiation ceremonies were held at Buntyn Presbyterian Church. Seven members of the pledge clans were initiated. Two more were initiated later.
With the return of the brothers to college in September, everyone was concerned with two things: rush week and flagball. Rush week, our first concern, was scheduled in the fall for the first, time after several years of having delayed rush. It was set up for October 24-27. The second concern was upholding the “A” and “B” League championship titles for the 2nd year in a row and that we did.
Rush week was here before we knew it. We had our rush party on October 8 at the Holiday Inn Dinner Theatre. When pledge cards were signed and the tally taken Epsilon Sigma chapter increased its number by 20 pledges. The new men wearing the pledge pin of Sigma Nu are:
Beck, Frank Cranford – Fayetteville, North Carolina
Blew, William Bryan – Overland Park, Kansas
Byars, James Thomas – Rome, Georgia
Canada, Ronald Lee – Trenton, Tennessee
Carl, Ralph Adams – Corning, New York
Cole, Frank Nicholas – Fayetteville, Georgia
Farris, William Duncan – Waycross, Georgia
Holtman, John Beckly – Mexico, Missouri
Jenkins, Martin Bruce – Memphis, Tennessee
Keeton, Hal Fitzgerald – Grenada, Mississip
McGrady, Charles Worden – Cashiers, North Carolina
Mimms, Malcolm Lillard – Nashville, Tennessee
Montgomery, Thomas White – Greenville, Mississippi
Moore, Ira Harrison – Batesville, Mississippi
Powers, Charles Lowery – Lindale, Georgia
Sutherland, Scott Burton – Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Taylor, Danny Loyd – Memphis, Tennessee
White, Mitchell Robert, Jr. – Memphis, Tennessee
Wilkinson, Walter Gilbert – Portland, Tennessee
Wills, Frank Jay – Little Rock, Arkansas
Since then, we have pledged four new men:
Faulkner, David Evan – Little Rock, Arkansas
Whitener, Charles George – Dalton, Georgia
Olsen, Jeffrey Baron – Little Rock, Arkansas
Likes, David H., Jr. – Memphis, Tennessee
The total chapter strength is 55 men: 31 actives and 24 pledges.